Jamie says: I cooked my first dinner at home for Mom and Dad in a long time. I enjoyed it and they really appreciated it, too. I found a recipe titled Vegetable Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream and Smoky Black Beans from Oprah’s magazine in my cookbook binder. Here’s my version:
Cumin & Lime Shrimp Tacos with Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 2 bell peppers (1 green, 1 red)
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided (Filippo Berio)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (Alessi, coarse)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 lime
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans (Bush’s)
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 lite avocado
- 2 cups coleslaw (Publix)
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar (Publix)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (from my Mom’s garden)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs medium shrimp
- 1 tsp taco seasoning mix (Publix)
- 1/2 lime
- 3 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (Cabot)
- 1/2 cup small ripe pitted black olives (Publix)
- 3 Tbsp lite sour cream (Publix)
- 3/4 cup salsa (Publix Deli, mild)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (La Tortilla Factory, Smart & Delicious, original, high fiber, low carb, 50 calorie)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. On a cutting board, cut kernels off of ears of corn. Place corn kernels in a large metal baking dish. Thinly slice bell pepper. Slice onion. Add to corn in baking dish. Add 3 Tbsp olive oil (reserving 1 Tbsp), sea salt, ground pepper, and cumin. Squeeze juice from 1/2 lime on top. Mix well.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Pour in a small baking dish. Add reserved 1 Tbsp olive oil and paprika. Bake corn mixture and black beans in oven for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop avocado. Add to a medium bowl along with coleslaw, white vinegar, and brown sugar. Toss together. Refrigerate.
- Heat a large frying pan on the stove top on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, chop a jalapeno. Add olive oil to pan, followed by shrimp, taco seasoning mix, and chopped jalapeno. Squeeze juice from lime on top. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes. Flip shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until pink and thoroughly cooked.
- Shred cheese using a grater. Drain juice from olives.
- Prepare taco: In each tortilla, scoop roasted corn, onions, and peppers; black beans; shrimp; sour cream; salsa; olives; cheese; and coleslaw.
Serves: 3. Enjoy!
Awesome! So flavorful! Reminded me of my eating adventures at taco trucks at the Mission District in San Francisco, California and at the Seminole Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida.
- Nutrition note: Eating vegetables shouldn’t be boring. Spice ’em up and add them to your favorite foods (like tacos).