Jamie says: As a South Florida girl, I’m used to hearing about potential hurricanes and tropical storms that threaten the area. But this time, I have a heightened interest. I have my first cruise booked for this weekend with a bunch of friends from my freshman year of college. Hurricane Irene, please go away!
Honey Butter French Toast with Berries
- 1/2 Tbsp whipped buttery spread (Smart Balance, organic)
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom honey (Leighton’s)
- 5 strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 large egg (4 Grain, vegetarian, brown)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (McCormick)
- 1 Tbsp fat free milk (Publix)
- 2 slices 100% whole wheat potato bread (Martin’s)
- no-stick cooking spray (PAM)
- In a very small bowl, mix together Smart Balance buttery spread and honey. Refrigerate prepared honey butter.
- Rinse strawberries and blueberries. Pat dry with a paper towel. Chop strawberries. Set aside.
- Pre-heat a small frying pan on a burner set on medium-high heat. Mix egg, cinnamon, and milk in a bowl. Dip both slices of bread, front and back, in egg mixture. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray. Place slices on frying pan (one at a time or side by side depending on pan size). Cook for about 1 minute or until egg is cooked. Flip and repeat to cook other side.
- Place French toast on a plate. Spread honey butter on French toast. Top with strawberries and blueberries.
Serves 1. Serving recommendation: Serve with a glass of fat free milk. Enjoy!
Delicious! I love the taste of the honey butter.
- Nutrition note: To reduce your saturated fat intake, swap out your butter for a healthy margarine, like Smart Balance whipped buttery spread. Make sure it has no trans fats or hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, though. Many margarine products may even be worse for you than butter. For an extra health benefits, look for one with omega-3s.