Jamie says: I turned in my last assignment yesterday. And I’m about to go pick up my cap and gown. This will be my third time picking up a cap and gown (high school and undergraduate graduations prior to this), but this time it’s different. I will be done with school. It’s kind of hard to believe. I mean, I’ve been in school my whole life. It’s very exciting, but also a little scary.
Steel Cut Oats with Figs & Maple Kefir
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 10 dried mission figs (Orchard Choice)
- 2/3 cups steel cut oats (Quaker)
- 1 cup kefir (Lifeway organic lowfat kefir cultured milk, probiotic, plain, unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (Spring Tree)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (McCormick)
- 1/8 tsp coarse sea salt (Alessi)
- In a pot or non-stick saute pan, bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, chop figs into quarters. Add steel cut oats and chopped figs to boiling water, reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a cup, mix kefir and maple syrup with a spoon. Pour sweetened kefir into cooked oatmeal. Top with cinnamon and sea salt. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
The maple kefir adds a rich and creamy taste to the hearty oats; the figs and cinnamon make the dish sweet; and the sea salt amplifies the flavors.
- Nutrition note: Enjoy a healthy dose of fiber with this nutritious breakfast. With about 10 g of fiber per serving, this breakfast will keep you satisfied as you power through your morning.