Jamie says: The count-down continues! Less than 2 weeks until graduation. Classes and internship have been over for over a week now. What has life been like lately? Busy, actually. I traveled to the Florida Dietetic Association Symposium in Weston last week for an awesome nutrition conference, and I’ve been preparing for a conference we are hosting for my program, completing my professional portfolio, submitting assignments, applying for jobs, and packing up my apartment to move out. It’s been busy, but great!
Crispy Polenta with Fresh Mozzarella
- one 18 oz package pre-cooked, ready to heat polenta (San Gennaro, Traditional Italian)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- one-third 8 oz package fresh mozzarealla cheese (Publix Deli)
- 1/4 tsp dried basil leaves (McCormick)
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt (Alessi)
- Pre-heat a large, nonstick pan on high heat. Meanwhile, slice polenta into1/2 inch circles. Add extra virgin olive oil to pan followed by polenta slices. Heat for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Meanwhile, slice mozzarella cheese into 1/8 inch pieces.
- Flip polenta and heat other side for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy; during the last 3 minutes of cooking the second side, add mozzarella cheese slices. Sprinkle basil and sea salt on top. Serve hot. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
The polenta is hot and crispy and pairs nicely with the soft, melted cheese. The basil adds a nice touch and the sea salt amplifies all the flavors. Reminds me of arepas.
- Nutrition note: Have you seen the words “gluten-free” on more food packages lately? Some Publix Supermarkets now even label the shelf tag with GF (gluten-free). It’s definitely one of the latest trends. Those with celiac disease have to follow a strict gluten-free diet and those with a gluten intolerance have to watch their gluten intake, too. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barely. The Crispy Polenta with Fresh Mozzarella makes a great gluten-free side dish.