Jamie says: Kathryn and I had quite a grocery shopping adventure last weekend. With the extra day off, I figured it was justifiable to leisurely stroll a few grocery stores and spend a good part of the day shopping for healthy food. We went to Ward’s, Fresh Market, and Publix and bought foods like organic yogurts, white acre peas, and purple sweet potatoes. I’m due for a trip to the farmers’ market… maybe that will be my next food adventure.
Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes
- 1 purple sweet potato (from Ward’s Supermarket)
- 1 Tbsp Smart Balance whipped low sodium buttery spread
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp, 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- Pour water (about 1 1/2″ deep) into the bottom of a microwave-safe baking dish. Add washed sweet potato to dish. Place a microwave-safe plate on top. Microwave for about 10 minutes on high. Rotate potato. Microwave for an additional 10 minutes or until soft.
- Place sweet potato on the plate that was covering the baking dish. Mash with a potato masher. Use a knife to cut the skin into bite-sized pieces. Add Smart Balance, cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp brown sugar (reserving 1 tsp). Mash until well-blended. Serve and top with reserved 1 tsp of brown sugar. Serves: 1. Enjoy!
The color was so fun and vibrant- it reminded me of Play Doh. The extra brown sugar on top added a nice sweet touch.
- Nutrition note: It’s the anthocyanins that make this potato purple. Anthocyanins may have antioxidant and anti-aging functions, decrease cancer risk, and aid with memory and urinary tract health, according to the American Dietetic Association.