Jamie says: What a fun weekend it’s been! Mom, Dad, Granny, Uncle Peter, Aunt Linda, and John came in to town to celebrate two very special graduations- my sister Kathryn’s and my cousin John’s. Kathryn earned her bachelors degree from the College of Journalism and Communications, and John earned his PhD in computer engineering. It’s been so nice having my sister here at school with me for the past 4 years and my cousin with me for 6 years. (I still have one more semester to go. K and I will still be together in the apartment this summer, but we are not sure of our plans after…) I am so proud of the two of them- my sister and cousin- and I am sure we will always have many great memories of our college years together.
Chicken Soup with Black-Eyed Peas and Quinoa
- 8 medium-sized carrots
- 5 pieces of celery (with leaves)
- 1/4 sweet onion
- 1 15.5-oz can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 32-oz box Swanson Natural Goodness chicken broth (33% less sodium)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 frozen chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Publix shaved parmesan cheese
- Chop carrots, celery (with leaves), and onion. Place in a slow cooker (i.e. a Crock-Pot).
- Drain and rinse black-eyed peas. Add to slow cooker along with quinoa, chicken broth, water, and frozen chicken breasts.
- Add lid to slow cooker and cook on high heat for about 3 hours or until chicken is cooked. Use tongs to remove chicken and shred with a fork and knife. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir. Serve with parmesan cheese on top. Serves: 4 (big bowls). Enjoy!
Easy to prepare and tastes like good ol’ chicken soup. I like the addition of the light, fluffy quinoa and the black-eyed peas for a change. The parmesan cheese adds a nice flavor.
- Nutrition note: Keep healthy, frozen food (like the chicken breasts in the recipe and any leftover soup) on hand. It makes for a quick and nutritious meal for those busy days.