Jamie says: Happy Easter, everyone! It’s a beautiful day, and it’s great to be home with my family for the weekend. I love all the holiday traditions. Yesterday was bunny bread-baking in the afternoon and dinner, egg-dyeing, and cupcake decorating in the evening (cupcake decorating has taken the spotlight, the eggs are getting a little jealous). Today brings Easter mass, brunch at my aunt’s, and dinner at Grandma’s.
Almond Milk Oatmeal with Fruit Salad
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fruit salad (strawberries, pineapple, grapes, mango, cantaloupe, honeydew melon)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (Silk Pure Almond)
- Pour oatmeal in a microwavable bowl. Add water. Microwave for 3 minutes. Stir.
- Cut large pieces of fruit. Add to cooked oatmeal. Add a generous splash of almond milk. Serves: 1. Enjoy!
I wasn’t sure how I would like some of those fruits in my oatmeal, but I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the variety in flavor, texture, and moisture. No need to add sugar; the fruit adds natural sweetness. The fruit goes nicely with the nutty flavor of the almond milk.
- Nutrition note: On holidays when you know you’ll be eating a little more rich food, enjoy a healthy breakfast. It will help you control your intake of the tasty but not so healthy foods you will later encounter.