Jamie says: These two dishes are unique and sound exotic, yet they each only call for four ingredients- which is so realistic for today’s busy lifestyle.
Mango Balsamic Cod
- 2 filets of cod (Publix frozen, defrosted)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 mangos
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cod on a baking sheet and drizzle cod with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for about 18 minutes or until cooked throughout and flakey.
- Make mango balsamic reduction: Slice mangos and heat balsamic vinegar and mangos in a saute pan on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Generously spoon mango balsamic reduction over cooked cod. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
Apple Cinnamon Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 large gala apple
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Pour quinoa and water into a sauce pot (which has a lid). Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, chop an apple. When the water boils, reduce heat to a simmer, add the chopped apple, and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for about 12 minutes or until water is absorbed. Stir in cinnamon and honey. Serves: 4. Enjoy!
A fun, fruity, and lightly sweetened meal. The sweet mangos and bold flavor of the balsamic vinegar made the cod quite flavorful. The apple cinnamon quinoa tasted like a desert version of steel-cut oats.
- Nutrition note: Quinoa is a whole grain which is relatively high in protein compared to other grains. This grain is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the essential amino acids needed (just like meat does). This is surprising, since most plant sources of protein do not contain all the essential amino acids. Quinoa is also gluten-free (for those with Celiac disease or a gluten intolerance).