Jamie says: I’ve always wanted to have a picnic on Lake Alice. So, I decided to make it happen. I cooked a picnic dinner and packed it in a pink picnic basket. Just before sunset, K and I biked to Lake Alice together and found a spot by the lake and the bat house. The weather was great, and we enjoyed our dinner together. We even got to see the bats fly over the lake!
Picnic Sausage Hoagie with Corn on the Cob and Watermelon
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- dash salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 mild Italian sausages
- 1/3 loaf French bread (Publix bakery)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- organic tomato ketchup (Publix GreenWise Market)
- 2 cobs of corn
- 2 tsp Smart Balance
- 2 slices watermelon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice onions and saute with extra virgin olive oil over medium heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown. Meanwhile, thinly slice bell peppers. Add bell peppers after the onions have cooked for about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add salt and pepper.
- Bake sausages in preheated oven until cooked throughout, about 15 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove husks from corn; rinse and wrap cobs of corn together in a damp paper towel. Microwave corn for about 4 minutes or until heated. Spread Smart Balance on cobs.
- Slice watermelon.
- Slice French bread. Fill with sautéed onions and peppers and sausage. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Add ketchup to taste. Pack dinner. Serves 2 (with leftover peppers and onions). Enjoy!
We had a wonderful picnic dinner. The sausage hoagies were outstanding- loaded with flavor from the savory sausage, olive oil on the onions and bell peppers, hint of cheese, and tomato ketchup.
- Nutrition note: Watermelon is rich in citrulline, a non-essential amino acid that functions as a potent antioxidant, protecting DNA and enzymes from harm.