Jamie says: I always choose soft tortillas over hard taco shells for taco night. I prefer the taste of the soft tortilla and like how you can fit so much more into it than those flimsy little corn shells. But, I have to admit the Saucy Shrimp Tostadas recipe in Publix Family Style magazine caught my eye. I liked how aesthetically pleasing the picture was and how you can pile it high with delicious ingredients. By the end of the meal, I was sold on the tostada as an alternate to the steadfast soft tortilla.
- one 8 oz can tomato sauce
- one 8 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs frozen cooked shrimp, defrosted (Publix)
- 1 1/4 oz package taco seasoning mix (Publix)
- one 15 oz can black beans in seasoned sauce
- 1 Romaine heart (lettuce)
- 1 bunch of green onion
- 1 avocado
- half 8 oz container light sour cream
- one 16 oz container mild salsa (Publix Deli)
- 10 tostadas (Mission)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. If shrimp are not defrosted, rinse in a bowl under cool running water. Remove tails from shrimp. On medium heat in a large saute pan, heat cans of tomatoe sauce and no salt added tomato sauce. Add shrimp and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil (medium-high); reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 6 minutes or until shrimp and sauce is heated, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat black beans in a small pot on medium low heat for about 8 minutes or until warm. Thinly slice lettuce, chop green onion, and cut avocado into bite-sized pieces. Put prepared toppings, sour cream, and salsa in serving bowls.
- Heat tostadas in preheated oven until warm, about 5 minutes. Assemble tostadas with desired toppings (i.e. tostada with black beans, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, shrimp and sauce, green onions, and avocado). Serves: 5. Enjoy!
A flavorful and fun meal to serve. Crunchy shell, saucy shrimp, and fun toppings.
- Nutrition note: Taco night doesn’t have to be laden with trans fats. Many brand-name taco seasoning mixes and shells contain trans fats. Read the ingredients section of label for words like “partially hydrogenated” or “hydrogenated” oils. I found the Publix taco seasoning mix and Mission tostadas to be trans-fat free.