Jamie says: Looking for a delicious meal you can cook entirely in the microwave? And I’m not talking a frozen dinner. Try this Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa recipe.
Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 small jalapeno chile
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can black beans in seasoned sauce (Publix)
- 1 lb 8 oz jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined (i.e. defrosted Publix fresh frozen jumbo shrimp)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch (~ 1 cup) fresh cilantro
- 8 La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious large tortillas made with whole wheat
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup small black olives
(This recipe was adapted from Good Housekeeping’s Shrimp Taco recipe.)
- Chop onion. Seed and chop jalapeno chile. Combine onion and jalapeno in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Remove kernels from ears of corn by holding corn vertically on a cutting board and using a knife to cut rows of kernels off. Drain canned beans in a colander. Add corn and beans to bowl with onion and jalapeno. Cover bowl with a large plate and microwave on high for 2 more minutes.
- Remove tails of shrimp, add shrimp to bowl, cover with a large plate, and microwave 4 minutes. Stir. Continue microwaving shrimp for 4 minute intervals, stirring in between, until shrimp are pink and cooked.
- Meanwhile, make avocado salsa. Chop tomatoes and avocado and place in a medium bowl. Quarter lime and squeeze juice into bowl. Using kitchen shears, cut cilantro leaves into bowl. Mix well.
- Halve black olives and put in a small bowl.
- Assemble tacos- shrimp, avocado salsa, black olives, and sour cream. Serves: 4. Enjoy!
- Nutrition note: All tortillas are not made equally. Most (even many of the “healthy” looking packages) are made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (aka trans fats) with over 300 calories for one tortilla. Be label savvy, and read the package and nutrition facts label: any partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? is it made with whole grains? how many calories per serving? any fiber? La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious large tortillas are made with whole wheat flour and are trans-fat free. Per serving, they have 80 calories (very low for a tortilla), 12 grams of fiber (that’s a lot), and 8 grams of protein!