Kathryn says: I was looking through my file folder of eclectic recipes, and a hummus recipe from Cooking Light caught my eye. J and I modified it by adding cottage cheese and more spices. We stuffed the pita pockets with hummus and fresh vegetables. We loved the hummus because it was spicy and nutty.
Cumin Curried Hummus
- 1/2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbs. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 snack-size container of cottage cheese
- Dried parsley
- Pita bread
- Fresh vegetables (like alph-alpha sprouts, cucumber, carrots, olives, green beans, tomatoes, and celery)
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic to pan and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add curry and cumin; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring to constantly.
- Place garlic mixture, water, juice, salt, and chickpeas in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Sprinkle with dried parsley for presentation.
- Serve with pita wedges and fresh vegetables.
- Serves: 2 with leftovers