Jamie says: My Mom used to make us Campbell’s Crispy Macaroni & Cheese. It’s was a favorite in our house. K and I have also made this recipe in college many times. Over the years, we’ve made a few variations to the original recipe (such as the addition of vegetables and the substitution of sautéed onions for trans-fat-laden fried onions).
Create-Your-Own Macaroni & Cheese
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cans Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Healthy Request Soup
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp mustard (i.e. spicy brown mustard)
- 1/8 tsp pepper (freshly ground)
- 4 cups shredded cheese (i.e. Cheddar or Four Cheese Mexican Blend)
- 4 heads (1 package) of broccoli
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion (i.e. Vidalia onion), medium
- 9 oz fresh spinach
- In a large pot, bring water to a rapid boil. Add macaroni. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. In a large baking dish, mix canned soup, milk, mustard, pepper, and 3 cups of cheese (reserving 1 cup of cheese). Add macaroni, mix well, and bake for about 25 minutes or until hot.
- Meanwhile, wash broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces, and place pieces in a vegetable steamer with a lid. Cook for about 25 minutes or until soft.
- Slice onion. Cut slices in half. Add onion to a large saute pan, with about 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Cook for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Steam spinach in a pot with a vegetable steamer and a lid for about 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Serve yourself a portion of macaroni and cheese. Create your own macaroni and cheese by choosing broccoli, onions, and/or spinach to mix into your bowl. Enjoy! Serves: 6.
Hot and cheesy. A favorite!
- Nutrition note: Make some of your favorite meals healthier by adding vegetables. For example, add veggies to pasta, pizza, and chili.