Jamie says: My family does a big Christmas Eve party every year. By now, we have our Christmas Eve menu pretty much set, but every once in a while we swap something out or add something new. This year, we switched up the salad (and a couple of other recipes). I suggested a salad with citrus based on the Basic Citrunette salad dressing recipe I found from the Florida Department of Citrus.
Salad with Citrus
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt, coarse
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 white grapefruit
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 16 oz lettuce, pre-washed
- To make dressing: Mince garlic. Mix orange juice, vinegar, salt, mustard, and garlic with an immersion blender (or food processor, blender, fork, or wire whisk). Slowly add the oil while mixing. Refrigerate dressing until ready to use.
- Wash grapefruits, tomatoes, and onion. Section grapefruits and slice each section into bite-sized pieces. Cut tomatoes in half, and cut each half into quarters. Cut onions into thin slices.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, grapefruit, tomato, onion, and dressing. Serves: ~12. Enjoy!
Light and refreshing. A great side to go with heavier holiday foods.
- Nutrition note: Citrus contains vitamin C. Among other important roles, vitamin C functions in the body as an antioxidant- meaning that it helps prevent free radicals from causing damage to cells and tissues.