Jamie says: During the last few days (and hectic) days of school, I needed a quick, substantial, and transportable dinner to take with me (on my bike) to the dietetics lab. In a hurry, I made a Sausage and Veggie Stir Fry with the ingredients I had in the refrigerator.
Sausage and Veggie Stir Fry
- 4 small heads of broccoli
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb (~2 links) mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Fast & Natural Instant Brown Rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 package sugar snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash broccoli and onion. Cut the stalk off broccoli, and discard. Cut broccoli heads into medium-sized pieces (a little bit larger than bite-sized). Cut onion in half, and then cut each half into about 6 slices. Divide broccoli and onion into two 13 x 9″ baking dishes. Add olive oil, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Cook for about 40 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, mix rice and water in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low; and cover. Simmer for 10-12 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Wash bell pepper and sugar snap peas. Slice bell pepper into strips, and cut strips in half. Cook in a steamer basket (with water in the bottom of the pot) for about 16 minutes or until softened. (Note: do not cook too long or the veggies lose their color).
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Rinse sausages, slice, and add to pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, until done, stirring frequently.
- Add baked veggies, steamed veggies, and sausage to the rice pot. Stir well. Sprinkle with sea salt. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
Mission accomplished! Dinner was a well-balanced and delicious meal. The combination of sausage, vegetables, and rice was great. The sausage added so much flavor.
- Nutrition note: Use (or request) brown rice instead of white rice. One cup of cooked brown rice has 100% of the daily whole grain recommendation of 48 grams of whole grains per day!