Jamie says: I had the best tempeh I’ve ever tried at a restaurant called New Deal Cafe. It was a BBQ tempeh sandwich with crispy onions. I haven’t had too much luck with tempeh, but I was tempted to attempt tempeh again. So I figured I would model my sandwich after my favorite. Here’s my take on it:
BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
- 1 sweet onion, medium
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Filippo Berio)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- no-stick cooking spray, original (PAM)
- 8 oz organic soy tempeh (Lightlife)
- 1/2 cup honey barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/4 cup organic tomato ketchup (Publix Greenwise Market)
- 1 cup parsley, fresh
- 2 slices rosemary bread, fresh or frozen (farmers’ market at Haile Plantation)
- 2 Tbsp real mayo mayonnaise (Kraft)
- Heat a large saute pan on medium heat. Thinly slice onion. Add oil to pan, then add sliced onion, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix. Cook for about 35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash parsley and dry using a paper towel. Remove long stems.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized pan over medium-low heat. Cut tempeh into 1/2-inch slices. Spray pan with no-stick cooking spray, add tempeh, and spray tempeh with cooking spray to coat. Using a fork, mash tempeh. Add barbecue sauce and ketchup to tempeh and continue to mash until tempeh is broken up and is well mixed with sauce. Heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally, and heat until onions are done.
- Place bread in pre-heated oven and toast until golden brown (about 15 minutes for frozen bread)- checking frequently.
- Assemble sandwiches- place tempeh on one slice of bread, followed by sautéed onions, and fresh parsley. Spread mayo on other side of bread and place on top of parsley. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
Absolutely delicious. We liked the nutty texture and sweet BBQ taste. I will definitely make this again.
Nutrition note: Tempeh is made from soybeans. One serving (4 oz) of Lightlife Organic Soy Tempeh has 12 g of fiber (about 50% of the daily value), 22 g of protein (about 45% of the daily value), is low in sodium, and is a good source of iron and calcium.