Jamie says: I had a wonderful 24th birthday celebration! Not only was it homecoming weekend, but my parents came in town, too. The three events gave me a good excuse to celebrate all weekend. For food gifts, my friend Lauren brought me some herbs from her garden and my friend Sam gave me flatbread from her farmers’ market back at home. I used both ingredients in this recipe. (Thank you, friends!) Most of the other food was purchased from Ward’s, a local supermarket in Gainesville.
Turkey Pastrami with Lemon Humus on Flatbread with Bean Salad
- 1 piece of flatbread (farmers’ market)
- 2 Tbsp artichoke lemon pepper humus (Tia’s Gourmet Kitchen)
- 1/8 lb pastrami seasoned turkey (Boar’s Head)
- 6 leaves fresh lemon basil
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 Tbsp goat cheese (Chavrie)
- 2 leaves Romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup summer beans salad including liquid (Tia’s Gourmet)
- Toast flatbread by laying it flat above toaster. Spread humus on flatbread. Add turkey pastrami.
- Wash basil, cucumber, sprouts and lettuce. Pat dry. Tear basil leaves and place on sandwich. Cut cucumber into slices, cut in half, and place on sandwich. Add alfalfa sprouts and goat cheese to sandwich.
- Tear lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place next to sandwich. Top lettuce with bean salad, including some of the liquid (oil and lemon juice) to use as a dressing. Serves: 1. Enjoy!
Yum! Yum! Yum! I enjoyed all the vegetables and the lemon kick from the basil, humus, and beans.
- Nutrition note: Try humus instead of mayonnaise. Unlike mayonnaise, humus offers protein and fiber and has no saturated fat.