Jamie says: SW Rec, the big gym on campus, re-opened today. There were so many renovations done that I did not even recognize the place! I was in awe. There are so many things to do. For example, there’s this wall you can throw medicine balls against, an indoor track, and a machine that you sway side to side on like you are skiing… so much fun, so little time. I got a great workout trying out all the new equipment. And to top off the great workout, I made this delicious dinner.
Garlic Teriyaki Pork Burgers with Feta
- 2/3 lb Publix ground lean pork
- 3 Tbsp Newman’s Own All Natural marinade teriyaki
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup Publix feta reduced fat crumbled cheese
- 1 Tbsp McCormick basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp Publix parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp McCormick garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp Penzeys Spices ginger
- 1 carton Publix mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Smart Balance original with flax light buttery spread
- 1/4 cup Beringer Founders’ Estate California Cabernet Sauvignon (red wine)
- 1 tsp Spice Islands thyme
- 4 slices Arnold 100% whole wheat bread
- 2 Tbsp Gulden’s spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup Publix GreenWise organic tomato ketchup
- 1 cup Publix spinach
- 1 tomato
- 2 green onions
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- 1/4 tsp Alessi coarse sea salt
- Pour teriyaki on ground pork; mix in. Mince garlic and add to pork along with feta, basil, parsley, garlic salt, pepper, and ginger. Mix together and form 2 burgers. Cook on the George Forman grill for about 7 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, heat a saute pan on medium heat. Melt butter in pan, and add mushrooms. Mix and then add wine and thyme.
- Peel husks off of corn. Rinse corn under cool water and wrap in a wet paper towel. Microwave for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Wash green onion and tomato and slice. Toast bread.
- Assemble burger: spread ketchup on one side of the bread; then add green onions and tomato; spread mustard on other side of bread and add spinach. Top with mushrooms and pork burger. Put sandwich together. Spread butter on corn and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serves: 2. Enjoy!
This has to be one of the best pork burgers I’ve made! I love the bold flavor of the teriyaki and the chunks of feta cheese.
- Nutrition note: Look for lean cuts of meat, such as pork. They have less total fat and saturated fat (the type you want to limit).