Jamie says: Sometimes, I get on food kicks. I make something I really enjoy, and then I keep making it- until one day I just don’t feel like that food all the time anymore. ( The same scenario happened with my chocolate banana milk shake. I enjoy it occasionally now, but not everyday.) My most recent food kick is “oatmeal for breakfast.” I’ve been on this kick for at least the last week or so. I’ve made many variations of the dish. Some toppings I’ve added to my oats include peanut butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, nuts, milk, bananas, coconut, blueberries, raspberries… Here’s my latest variation:
Toasted Coconut Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup Quakers Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 generous Tbsp Publix Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- ~1/3 cup Publix Greenwise Market Organic Fat Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit. Spread coconut flakes out over a small baking pan and cook in the oven for about 6 and 1/2 minutes or until toasted.
- Combine oatmeal and water in a bowl and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Top oatmeal with washed blueberries, toasted coconut, and milk. Enjoy! (serves 1)
Oatmeal is a good base for adding different fun and tasty toppings. The toasted coconut was a sweet treat.
- Nutrition note: Oatmeal is a whole grain. Aim to make at least half your grains whole grains.