Jamie says: After a nice run, I came home drenched- and not from sweat. The weather looked good when I ventured outdoors, but out of nowhere these relentless storm clouds came in. The rain started, and didn’t stop. After running home through massive puddles, I decided it was a good night to stay inside and enjoy some hot soup for dinner. To accompany my soup, I made a savory toast.
Roasted Red Pepper, Fresh Basil, and Colby Jack Cheese Toast
- 1/3 red bell pepper
- 2 tsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- PAM Cooking Spray
- 2 slices Publix Bakery Italian Five Grain Bread
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- 6 medium-thin slices of Publix Colby Jack Cheese (cheese block)
- Wash bell pepper, slice into strips, and heat in a pan over medium heat with extra virgin olive oil. Use a fork to turn pepper strips over and cook until soft and slightly black. Season with salt and pepper. (Suggestion: you can cook a whole bell pepper and save the extras for other meals.)
- Spray a pan with PAM and put on a burner set at medium heat. Add bread to the pan and cook until one side of the bread is toasted. Wash and dry fresh basil. Slice cheese.
- Flip to toast other side of bread. Add basil, cheese, and red pepper to toasted side of bread. Enjoy!
The toast was quick to prepare and made a delicious and flavorful side to my soup.
- Nutrition note: Energy in equals energy out for weight maintenance. Balancing calories consumed with calories burned prevents weight gain. About 3,500 calories equals one pound. Therefore, consuming an additional 3,500 calories results in a one pound weight gain. And cutting back on 3,500 calories will result in a pound of weight loss. A safe way to lose weight is to cut back 500 calories/day to lose one lb/week.