Jamie says: To me, strawberries are a breakfast, lunch, or snack food- not a dinner food. So when I found a Strawberry Scampi recipe in the Publix Greenwise magazine, I was intrigued. Strawberries, shrimp, and brown rice? The picture looked good. The ingredients sounded interesting. I was sold. Here’s my version.
Balsamic Shrimp and Strawberries over Brown Rice
- 2 cups Minute Brown Rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb large shrimp (deveined)
- 1 container (16 oz) strawberries
- 1/4 cup Publix canola oil
- 1/4 cup Alma’s Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 lemon
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp Smart Balance Buttery Spread made with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Bring water in a pot to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to low, add a lid to the pot, and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool an additional 5 minutes.
- Wash strawberries, cut tops off, and quarter.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, vinegar, juice of 1/2 lemon, and pepper. Add strawberries and mix.
- Rinse and dry shrimp with a paper towel. Mince garlic. In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat add shrimp and garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes or until pink, stirring frequently. Stir in parsley, salt, and any additional lemon juice.
- Serve shrimp over the rice. Spoon strawberries and sauce over shrimp.
- Enjoy! (serves: 4)
- Nutrition note: Choose brown rice over white rice to reap the benefits of whole grains. Whole grains offer additional phytonutrients.