Jamie says: After making this Italian Roasted Vegetable Sandwich, the apartment smelled like an Italian bistro all day. It was Heavenly.
Italian Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
- PAM Cooking Spray
- 1 small eggplant
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Vidalia sweet onion
- 1 tsp Alessi Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 plum tomato
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta Roasted Bell Peppers
- 3 Lindsay Greek Kalamata Olives
- 1/8 cup reduced fat feta and/or 1 slice fresh mozarella cheese
- 2 slices Publix Bakery Italian Five Grain Bread
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash eggplant, thinly slice, and place on baking sheets sprayed with PAM.
- Drizzle some of the olive oil and spread evenly over eggplant. Top with Italian herbs and bake in the oven for 14 minutes.
- Saute onions in olive oil in a pan over medium heat until golden brown. Add salt and pepper.
- Wash and slice a tomato. Slice peppers and olives. Put on bread along with cheese.
- Add about 4-5 slices of hot eggplant and one-fourth of the onions.
- Enjoy! (serves 1; with extra eggplant and onions)
This sandwich was divine! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow.
- Nutrition note: Eat your veggies! Most American adults and children do not eat enough. The average adult needs about 2.5 cups/day.